Mr. Yoga’s 10 week “calming the classroom” package includes:
- A tailored program for each Stage including lesson outline and demonstrable outcomes linked to the Personal Development, Health and Physical Education Syllabus
- Report comments for every student who participates in the program
- Weekly column for your school’s newsletter including tips on how to practice poses at home
- Classes involve musical instruments including the Didgeridoo and Tibetan singing bowl
- Each class focuses on a mindfulness ‘value of the week’ including gratitude, kindness, community etc
- Free weekly class for the school teachers
- Specialised HSC programs available for year 11 and 12 students that focus on breathing, stress management and clearing the mind to focus on study
- Covered by Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance
Yoga is inclusive so children who don’t normally participate in sport enjoy the challenges of yoga because it is non-competitive. It enables them to enjoy exercise without the pressure often associated with team sports.
Yoga can also help children who are particularly good at competitive sports. By giving them a better knowledge of their body, they can improve their technique giving them more balance and strength.
Benefits to the children, school and school community:
- Decreases anxiety and fear: children who are ‘stressed’ can learn to deal with anxiety through breathing and relaxation. Yoga is proven to relieve stress.
- Increases concentration and focus: children learn to focus without getting distracted, especially students with ADHD. Yoga trains the mind to focus on the present moment.
- Increases balance and fine motor skills: children learn poses which help them concentrate and become grounded.
- Increases flexibility: learning flexibility as a child decreases issues with mobility as an adult.
- Increases harmony and happiness: yoga creates harmonious atmosphere where children learn to respect one another. All the moves are non-violent and promote a happy, balanced, grounded lifestyle. Yoga can actually help in alleviating depression and improving a person’s mood, from negative to positive.
- Promotes healthy living: yoga can help those who are struggling to lose weight. Yoga promotes burning of calories and fats and can also increase a person’s self-esteem and confidence. Yoga also promotes a better well-being and prevention of diseases.
- Increases strength: yoga positions utiliise every muscle in the body, therefore when children do these positions regularly, they will gain muscle strength.
- Increases relaxation: yoga promotes proper breathing. It improves the overall lung function. With the adequate supply of oxygen in the body, relaxation is promoted.
- More RFF for teachers: as Mr Yoga is a qualified primary school teacher, the school does not need to provide additional resources to supervise the classes.
“Today’s children are dealing with major issues – obesity is just one of them. Yoga is truly holistic. Children get physical, emotional and mental benefits from it. Sporty ones can improve their performance. Not-so-sporty children an find a flexibility they didn’t know they had.” Yoga for Kids: New York’s latest trend http://www.telegraph.co.uk
Mr Yoga provides students of all ages with a great belief in themselves and a strong physical, mental and emotional foundation, which will develop and grow into their adulthood. Each lesson is a wonderful learning experience in which children gain the knowledge to develop and maintain a healthy body and happy mind.
Mr Yoga’s lessons are designed to have a lasting impact, while at the same time capturing the children’s attention in a meaningful, entertaining and educational manner. By engaging mindfully through lessons and classes, students learn invaluable skills that set the foundation to overcome new challenges and developing physically, emotionally and growing their self-esteem for life.
Lessons are tailored for each Stage and run for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on the school’s requirement). The lessons are designed for the syllabus and all of Mr Yoga’s programs are linked to the outcomes in the Personal Development, Health and Physical Education Syllabus.
All the poses are appropriately named for the Australian classroom.
Contact Mr Yoga for a copy of the program and outcomes.